(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Gang of Loggers Arrive.
A gang of loggers from the Mt. Tom
camp arrived in town Tuesday, to string
the booms and make ready for the annual drive which will probably reach here
in about 10 days. They brought their
powerful launch "Van Dyke" with them
to assist in the work and are able to save
much time by the use of it. The boat is
equipped with a 24-horse power engine of
the automobile type and the canoes are
very wary of it as the wake it leaves is
about twice as large as that of any of the
regular launches on the river. The sluice
at the dam is being put in proper shape
and it is thought that everything will be
in readiness for an immediate sluicing as
soon as the logs begin to arrive.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The annual log drive on the Connecticut River often tied up the river for weeks at a time as hundreds of thousands of hundred foot-logs floated to the mills at Turners Falls and at the base of Mt. Tom in Holyoke. To prevent damage from stray logs and to keep the majority of the trees in the channel, long log booms were strung along the river. The gang described here arrived in their launch, the "Van Dyke," named for George Van Dyke, the owner of the Connecticut Valley Lumber Company and the Mt. Tom mill. The sluice they are installing is used to route logs over the dam and further downstream.
top of page
"Gang of Loggers Arrive"
| publisher Greenfield Gazette and Courier
| date Jul 4, 1908
| location Greenfield, Massachusetts
| height 2.5"
| width 2.25"
| process/materials printed paper, ink
| item type Periodicals/Newspaper
| accession # #L02.097
Send an e-Postcard of this object