(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
[From the Religious Intelligencer]
HINTS TO SCHOOL MASTERS.
1. Keep good order, but be not tyrannical and overbearing.
2. For keeping good order, strive to obtain the love and respect of your scholars,
and you may then lead them at your pleasure.
3. Govern chiefly by reason and persuasion.
4. Never strike a scholar in a passion, not punish more than is absolutely necessary.
5. Be very careful that you use no partiality.
6. Be patient in the discharge of all your duties.
7. See that what is learned, is learned perfectly.
8. In reading, let the inflections of voice be perfectly natural.
9. Never let any thing pass unexplained, which you have the least reason to
think the scholar does not perfectly understand.
The last thing mentioned has been grossly neglected by most teachers, so that
many a youth has understood nothing of much that he has committed to memory
until his riper judgment comprehended it.
As there are consequences depending upon the manner of rearing the tender minds
as lasting as eternity, it is highly important that every teacher should feel
that he is forming characters for another world, and his example, his precepts,
and all his actions will have an important bearing upon the future destiny of
Contact us for information about using this image.
There is currently no available "Beginner" label. The following is the default level label: In this list of hints for school masters, teachers are advised to be reasonable and patient with their students. They are also advised to explain subjects rather than just teach by rote, so the students comprehend what they are being asked to learn. Teachers are reminded that they are in part responsible for forming the characters of their students and thus, they must be cognizant of the importance of their actions. The Greenfield Gazette and Franklin Herald was the newspaper in Greenfield, Massachusetts, from June 26, 1827 to June 27, 1837. It changed its name to the Gazette & Mercury.
top of page
"Hints to School Masters" article from the Greenfield Gazette and Franklin Herald newspaper
| publisher Greenfield Gazette and Franklin Herald
| date Dec 23, 1828
| location Greenfield, Massachusetts
| height 6.5"
| width 4.0"
| process/materials printed paper, ink
| item type Periodicals/Newspaper
| accession # #L05.113
Send an e-Postcard of this object