(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Decorated for Christmas and with both a cross and tablets displaying the Ten Commandments, the brick meetinghouseinterior presents a very different appearance than the four buildings that came before it. Built in 1824 in Deerfield, this was the fifth meetinghouse and the first to be used "solely for worship," and not also for town meetings. Most New Englanders did not celebrate Christmas until the middle years of the nineteenth century so decorations like these never appeared in earlier meetinghouses. Note the box pews.