(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Built in 1938 to remember the September 18, 1675 attack, this marble statue stands for the soldiers and Deerfield, Massachusetts, men who were killed near what is now South Deerfield during King Philip's War (1675-1676). Before the September 18 attack, the town was burned on September 12 by Metacom's (King Philip's) forces. On September 18 the men had returned to the town to bring their grain to safety but were attacked as they crossed over Muddy (Bloody) Brook with their wagons on the way to the mill in Hadley.