(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
The town of Deerfield, Massachusetts, voted in 1823 to spend $6,000 to build a new Congregational meetinghouse. It would be the fifth meetinghouse built since the town was established in 1671. Unlike the other four meetinghouses that preceded it, this building would be used "exclusively for worship." Nevertheless, the Congregational Church remained the established Church of the state of Massachusetts until 1834. The architecture is typical of New England meetinghouses built in this period. Its steeple and its location on a knoll made it the tallest building in town, visible for many miles.