Send an E-Postcard of:
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The Amherst House stood on the corner of Pleasant and Amity streets next to Merchants' Row in the center of Amherst, Masachusetts. That site had been the location of the Warner Tavern, Amherst's first, built around 1757. Elijah Boltwood took it over in 1806 and in 1821 he had a substantial three-story brick building erected there, with a colonnaded porch facing Pleasant Street. Boltwood ran it until 1838, when he sold it to Harvey Rockwood. He expanded it along Amity Street with an addition and also added a large basement facility with separate billiard, bar, and saloon rooms. Rockwood changed the name to "Amherst House." In 1843 he sold it to Albin P. Howe, who then issued this flyer announcing his arrival. Howe had owned a market in Amherst. He ran the Amherst House until 1867, and a succession of owners ran it until it burned to the ground in 1879.
top of page