Send an E-Postcard of:
"Schell Memorial Bridge, East Northfield, Mass."
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Built in 1903, the Schell Memorial Bridge was donated to the town of Northfield, Massachusetts, by one of its leading citizens, Francis R. Schell. Schell wanted easy access from his chateau in downtown Northfield, on the east side of the Connecticut River, to the Northfield Railroad Station which was located on the west side of the river. Schell Memorial Bridge is a 515 foot long steel cantilever truss bridge, and was designed by Edward S. Shaw, an important bridge engineer in Massachusetts from 1873 to 1919. The Schell Bridge was closed in 1985 because it had become unsafe due to deterioration.
top of page