Send an E-Postcard of:
Main and Park Streets looking South. Easthampton, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This postcard shows the intersection of Main and Parks Streets in Easthampton, Massachusetts and the public library. In 1869 the Public Library Association of Easthampton was founded by Emily Williston and other community-minded citizens. Its purpose was to provide library services to the residents of Easthampton. The building pictured in this postcard was opened to the public in 1881, and contained not only the library, but also a museum. It was designed by the architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The library was renamed The Emily Williston Memorial Library and Museum to honor Mrs. Williston who played an important part in the history of the Library. The street cars began operation 1895. The library is still in use today, but the streetcars are just a memory.
top of page