Send an E-Postcard of:
First Church of Deerfield Interior
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
By 1920 the interior of the brick meeting house had been transformed. The woodwork, with the exception of the mahogany pulpit, was white, the cross had been removed, and electricity had been introduced. The color of the walls, pale pink, was the choice of artist Augustus Vincent Tack, who had a studio in Deerfield. The lack of ornament, the box pews, and the dominance of the pulpit are all reminders of the colonial time period in the 1920 refurbishing of the Deerfield, Massachusetts, 1824 meeting house.
top of page