Send an E-Postcard of:
Hotel Lathrop, South Deerfield, Mass.
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Named for Capt. Thomas Lathrop [Lothrop], the Essex County (Massachusetts) soldier who was killed at the Battle of Bloody Brook in 1675, this hotel stood in the center of town. It was located across from the Common from the late 19th century until it burned in the 1950s. Serving as a centerpiece for the town of South Deerfield, Massachusetts, in its later years it was re-named the Bloody Brook House. The dining room was on the second floor and a covered balcony faced the Common with a view of the elm trees and the fountain. Shops (meat market, shoe store, etc.) were located inside at street level and rooms for guests were on the upper floor. The train station was just down the street, making this a convenient overnight accommodation for travelers and a dining and shopping convenience for both townspeople and transients.
top of page