Send an E-Postcard of:
St. James / Monument Church
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
The Monument Church building dates from 1848 and was originally a Congregational Church. It was named "Monument" because of its location next to the historical 1675 Bloody Brook Battle Monument. The "Catholic Society" purchased the building in 1871. The building was moved to a site further south on South Deerfield Massachusetts' Main Street and renamed when St. James Parish was founded in 1895. The box pews and tin ceiling are reminders of the building's 19th century origins, but the windows are now stained glass and the original steeple has been replaced by a dome with a cross. Nationally-known artist Augustus Vincent Tack, a summer resident of Deerfield, painted a mural behind the altar depicting the stations of the cross. The congregation was originally Irish, but is described by the present priest as a "League of Nations."
top of page