Send an E-Postcard of:
Dr. Mary P. Dole
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
Mary Phylinda Dole (b. 1862), a native of Shelburne, Massachusetts, attended Sanderson Academy and Mt. Holyoke College before graduating from the Women's Medical College of Baltimore in 1888. She briefly practiced medicine in Shelburne Falls before accepting a position in Boston at the New England Hospital for Women and Children. In December of 1891, she set up a practice in Greenfield, Massachusetts, and later occupied the east wing of the Hovey House, now the Greenfield Public Library, in 1899. Dr. Dole maintained a private practice while also attending patients at the Franklin County Public Hospital. After many years of work in Greenfield, she moved to New Haven, Connecticut, in 1906. After retiring, Dr. Dole returned to Greenfield and became a weaver at the Indian House Memorial in Deerfield.
top of page