Send an E-Postcard of:
Village Room and Post Office
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This c.1900 photograph illustrates three of the public buildings near the center of the village of Deerfield, Massachusetts: the corner of the Brick Meeting House, the Village Room or Martha Goulding Pratt Memorial, and the Post Office. Of the three buildings pictured, only the 1824 Brick Meeting House at the far left survives as pictured. The Village Room, which had been used for church suppers, meetings of the Deerfield Woman's Club, and for a small library, was named the Martha Goulding Pratt Memorial in honor of Deerfield's postmistress, who served from 1870 to 1894. It was torn down in 1957. The Post Office was remodeled in 1952 to resemble Deerfield's Third Meeting House and continues to function for the purpose of postal delivery in the town.
top of page