Send an E-Postcard of:
"Ruins of the French Fort at Chambly built 1711"
(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved.
Contact us for information about using this image.
This photograph shows the ruins of the French fort at Chambly, Quebec, Canada. This stone fort, which was built in 1711, was the replacement of an earlier wooden fort. Both served as the arrival and departure point of many captives from New England during the colonial period, including some of the captives from the 1704 raid on Deerfield, Massachusetts. The photographs Emma Lewis Coleman (1853-1942) took of French documents and buildings when she accompanied C. Alice Baker on research trips to Canada in the 1880s, mark the beginning of her interest in the history of 1704.
top of page