(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
The Monument Church dates from 1848 and was originally a Congregational Church. It was named "Monument" because of its location next to the historical 1675 Bloody Brook Battle Monument. The "Catholic Society" bought the building in 1871. The building was moved to a site further north on South Deerfield's Main Street and renamed when St. James' Parish was founded in 1895. The box pews and tin ceiling were left over from the nineteenth century, but the stained glass windows were added later. The first steeple was replaced by a dome with a cross. Augustus Vincent Tack, an artist and summer resident of Deerfield, painted a religious mural behind the altar. The members were originally Irish, but now include people of many other backgrounds.