(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Although this sale of land was drawn up in 1712/13, it was not recorded by the courts until May 23, 1720. The document transfers one-half of two islands in the Connecticut River, near the mouth of the Deerfield, from Reverend Williams (1664-1729) and his wife Abigail (Bissel) Williams (c.1673-1754) to John Sheldon (1658-c.1733). It is signed by John Williams with his seal. Abigail, however, apparently cannot sign her name and instead makes her mark, an "a".